Friday, January 10, 2014

Getting Meir to the Super Bowl- Some followup questions

A friend posted my blog about getting Meir to the Super Bowl on his Facebook wall. A friend of my friend responded with some questions. I must admit that ordinarily, I would not appreciate this response about how to raise my son. However, being that I have made this a public appeal, I will address his points, both for him, as well as for those who have the same questions.

If this is a life's dream for a kid, and you want to fulfill it, pony up the cash. If your like the rest of us who can't or won't afford it, then accept that your one of the other 295 million Americans who will never see a Super Bowl, live. “

As I mentioned, the thought of spending that kind of money for a game is obscene. I doubt I'll ever be given the test of wealth, but if I am (test me God, PLEASE test me), I hope I will be the type who will drive an Accura and not a Buggoti, and buy suits off the rack. That said, there will be an awesome workout room in the basement, but I digress. I don't want anyone to buy him a ticket.

I have so little money, I can't even spell the brand properly

Is Meir selling lemonade on the street corner to raise money?? Is he shoveling snow on people's walkways??? R. Sommer is asking for a favor to be called in, for what reason I don't know???? What is Meir (or his father) doing themselves????”

I hinted at it, but yes, he is shoveling to make money. We did tell him that even if he earned enough money, we would not let him use it on this. He worked for 10 hours last Friday. His pants literally (and I mean literally, not the figurative way that people say “literally) froze. The first time he did it, he even met a player from the Giants practice squad who gave him and his friend $100 to split.

He used the money to replace the laptop that got stolen at school so he could continue to take good notes and make Honor Roll.

“I have a better suggestion. Rather than send him alone to a freezing stadium surrounded by 1000000 people with prolonged intermissions, minimal kosher food, and 2 teams Meir doesn't particularly care about, sit him next to you on your couch, and watch it together. In the warmth of your home where you can share in the closeness of each other and experience the game together (as father and son). Talk football strategy. Why is Peyton Manning the best QB??”

For Meir, it's not about which two teams are playing. It's for the experience.

My oldest son, had a great response to this question. He said “Tell him we are too frum to own a TV”. He was a little wrong. We are not too frum for anything, but we don't own a TV.

I did take him to a Super Bowl party last year. I even wore my old Tony Dorsett jersey, which is about as close as the Cowboys are going to get to the game as long as Jerry Jones owns the team.

Peyton Manning?!?! Are you kidding? He's a great REGULAR season QB. Montana and Brady (or should it be Brady and Montana) are the best ever.



“Sports events are special because of the people you share them with as well as what takes place on the field. Sending him alone?? I don't get it. “

The world would be a better place if we learned how to be alone with ourselves, although sitting with 100,000 people is hardly alone.

“Here you're advocating someone to do you a favor by getting Meir (who doesn't own a shovel that I heard about), a ticket to a game he has neither earned, nor should really be going to.”

You are right. He doesn't own a shovel. I do. He uses my shovel to shovel our walk (for free!!!) and to make money.

Meir doesn't own a shovel, but if he did, it would look like this

“Instead make it a nice father son day. If he has a couple of friends, invite them over too. Have a Super Bowl party. Learn Gemara during the halftime show, pick a team and root for them.


I would never allow him to watch the halftime show.

Learn gemara? Do you stop in the middle of a walk with your wife to learn gemara? While hiking in the Grand Canyon?

Why you would think its special to send a young man to an event like this alone in freezing weather.”

Because it's the Super Bowl, it's being played near my home, and some things, like dogsledding, hot cocoa and post-season football, are best experienced in the cold.



“I'd have more respect for the request if say Meir were working and you were asking for funds to match how much he made. And you're right... He (and you) shouldn't spend money on tickets for this game. In fact... If someone did give you a ticket, you should sell it, and give the proceeds to Just One Life.”

I'd have less respect for the request if I did that. I don't want anyone to spend that money.

Did you sell the Shas that your in-laws bought you when you got married so you could give it to tzedaka? What about the airline ticket to California you were given after graduating high school? I mean, my God, there are children starving in Africa.

If I gave a guy a ticket so his son could go to the game and he sold it instead, I'd be pretty mad.

“You want to make a special day for him as good fathers want to. Make him a Super Bowl party. Talk strategy with him. Bring a couple of other kids over and a friend or 2 of yours.....Make it a day for the 2 of you. Believe me...if one is really interested in the game itself, watch it on TV. Anyone I have known who ever went to a Super Bowl went for reasons completely unrelated to the game. Meir would likely sit in a place where the players who he is not truly familiar with look like small dots. Once the initial "shock and awe" ambiance has worn off, I think it would be an underwhelming and potentially dangerous situation for him.

He will love it. He'll never forget it.

Dangerous? What might happen? A CEO could, I suppose, drop his end of year bonus on Meir's head. I doubt a fur coat would do more than cause a mere flesh wound.

I hope their are no large diamonds in the pockets

I'd love to go to the game myself. Heck, I'd like to take my oldest son (although I'd rather go to the Olympics if you happen to know anyone who wants to help a bald teacher who runs). There are several reasons I only asked for one ticket.


  • I don't want to be greedy
  • I want to make sure that this is seen as what it is; a father doing something for his kid.
  • Tickets are given away for all sorts of reason; friends, family, business associates, clients etc. I'm looking for that one person who sees helping a kid at a tough time in his life, as a worthwhile person to give a ticket to. Is that really so bad?

1 comment:

  1. "I would never allow him to watch the halftime show."

    Um ... if he's at the game, the halftime show is going to happen live ... no pause and fast-forward available :-)

    For the last few years, we've (entire family) watched the Super Bowl at our shul. They have a whole program with food, raffles for the kids, and for the halftime show, they put up the YU alternative halftime show.

    ReplyDelete